Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Answered by Our Nashua Attorneys

At Bernazzani Law, we have talked with countless men and women who have questions about family law issues. Below are a few of the more common questions and answers.

For counsel tailored to your particular situation, feel free to call us at (603) 261-2214 and set up a free consultation with one of our lawyers in Nashua.

Will I Lose My Kids?

A parent's right to be involved in the life of his or her child is fundamental under the New Hampshire Constitution, and the courts generally seek to maintain children's contact with both parents. So, unless abuse or neglect is proven, each parent is generally entitled to spend time with his or her children.

Usually, one parent is awarded primary residential responsibility, and the other is entitled to parenting time. In making this determination, the courts are guided by the best interests of the children. Generally, the parent who has spent the most time caring for the children will be awarded primary residential responsibility; but there has been a trend toward shared responsibility, with each parent having the children for approximately equal amounts of time. Which parent earns the most money has no bearing on this decision, and either the mother or the father may be the primary custodian.

Over time, we have learned how to tell when proposed residential responsibility and visitation plans are likely to work well, and when they are likely to prove troublesome. We are experienced in negotiating and, when necessary, litigating custody and visitation arrangements to meet the needs of our clients and their children, as well as in preparing proposed orders for approval by the courts.

How Do Parenting Rights and Responsibilities Work?

There are two kinds of responsibility for children in New Hampshire: Major decision-making (formerly known as legal custody) and residential responsibility (formerly known as physical custody). Most parents share joint decision-making for their child, remain involved in the child's life, and participate in major decisions affecting the child.

A parent with primary residential responsibility for a child provides the primary residence of the child; however, the parents still share responsibility for most day-to-day matters, depending on whose care the child is in at the moment. In nearly all cases, major decision-making is appropriate, and often one parent will have primary residential responsibility, but this may vary based on specific circumstances. Our office frequently assists in working out both short- and long-term custodial arrangements.

A noncustodial parent is generally entitled to parenting times on a schedule, which can vary. We assist in tailoring visitation plans and schedules to the specific needs of our clients and their children. It is not unusual for problems to arise in this area, and for communication between the parties to break down. Over time, we have learned to plan for many predictable crises, like major holidays, and help the parties establish workable arrangements in advance.

A noncustodial parent is obligated to share financially in the support of the children. Support payments are calculated based on the incomes of the parents and the number of children.

How Is Child Support Determined?

When parents of minor children live apart, the parent with primary residential responsibility has a right to regular payments from the other parent for the benefit of the children. When court orders such child support payments, the amount will be based on the number of children and each parent's income, according to guidelines issued annually by the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).

Can I Change the Amount of Child Support?

If at least three years have passed since the court issued the child support order, you can request a modification. However, if fewer than three years have elapsed, you may still be able to modify the order if you show that circumstances have substantially changed. For instance, if you lost your job, or daycare costs have significantly increased, you can ask the court to increase or decrease the amount.

To modify a support order, you must file two documents: A "personal data sheet" and a "petition to change court order." Our attorneys in Nashua can assist you with this.

What Is a Guardian ad Litem?

If parents can't agree on an acceptable parenting plan, the court may appoint a guardian ad litem (GAL). The GAL is responsible for investigating the situation, which may involve interviewing the parents, talking with the children, and visiting the respective houses. Then, the GAL writes and submits a report to the judge, with recommendations about what the parenting arrangement should be.

If you have questions about how to prepare for an interview with a GAL, set up a free consultation with one of our attorneys.

Do I Have to Divide My 401(k) with My Ex-Spouse?

If you began contributing to a 401(k) after your marriage, the account is likely to be considered marital property, and thus subject to division during divorce. If this is the case, you will need to use a qualified domestic relations order (QDRO) to divide the funds with your ex-spouse.

However, not all situations are clear-cut. Part of the 401(k) may be non-marital property, for instance. Let our knowledgeable lawyers review your particular situation and provide the tailored legal guidance you require.

What Are the Benefits of Mediation?

Mediation and other alternative dispute resolution (ADR) methods come with many potential benefits. In most cases, mediation is easier and quicker than litigation, which means it may save you both time and money. It is also a much more flexible process, and allows you to craft unique solutions that truly work for you and your family.

How Do Restraining Orders Work?

The courts will issue restraining orders to protect any person from violence or abuse by a partner, where there is evidence of actual violence or a credible threat of violence. Restraining orders may be issued against a man or a woman.

We are experienced in assisting clients in obtaining restraining orders when necessary for their protection, as well as in defending other clients from baseless charges of domestic violence where restraining orders were improperly sought against them.

Does New Hampshire Have Annulment?

Yes, under certain qualifications, annulment is an option in New Hampshire. Learn more.

Have Other Questions?

To schedule a free initial consultation with a lawyer, call (603) 261-2214 or reach out to us online.

Client Testimonials

  • "They made our process smooth and easy."

    Xiorli Bernazzani and her firm were a pleasure to work with. They made our process smooth and easy. Thank you Xiorli and all of the staff at your firm!!!!

    - Denise J.
  • "Great law firm and Attorney Naro is excellent counsel."

    Great law firm and Attorney Naro is excellent counsel. He is definitely very attentive to his clients. Thank you!!

    - Marilyn R.
  • "He’s very knowledgeable about every aspect of the law and always goes above and beyond."

    Attorney Tony Naro is absolutely incredible. Not only is he a nice guy, but he’s honest and fair. He gives you realistic expectations. He genuinely cares about his clients and not just getting paid. He’s very knowledgeable about every aspect of the law and always goes above and beyond. He’s just the best out there!

    - Britney G.
  • "If you need a law firm and an attorney, this is the man you need to contact."

    Tony Naro from Bernazzani Law is by far the best attorney I have worked with for my divorce case. He is well educated, easy to work with, knowledgeable, prompt, and most of all a super nice man. If you need a law firm and an attorney, this is the man you need to contact. The whole firm as well are very good to work with. I will use him again if I ever need it. Thank you so much Tony Naro for your service as well as the whole firm.

    - Darren R.

    What Sets Us Apart From The Rest?

    Bernazzani Law is here to help you get the results you need with a team you can trust.

    • Reasonability
      Some attorneys portray themselves as bulldogs. However, being overly aggressive is not always effective. When a fight is necessary, we fight. But when it is clear that a negotiated or mediated solution can yield better results — and the client wants this — we do not hesitate to follow the more fruitful path.
    • Advocacy
      This is another way of saying "we've got your back." Retain our firm, and we will advocate for you in the strongest possible manner. We are dedicated to helping you and your family.
    • Flexibility
      Our training and experience as mediators, negotiators and litigators give us a full suite of options to bring to your legal problem. Whether a court fight or a mutually agreeable solution is in your best interest, we are flexible enough to serve you. We make ourselves available by email, phone and through our helpful and competent staff.
    • Empathy
      We listen to our clients, and we relate to their problems — always providing clients, and their concerns, the time and attention required. We believe that understanding our clients is vital to helping them resolve those problems.