New Hampshire Attempted Murder Attorneys
Taking a Client-Centered Approach to Cases
Attempted murder is a serious criminal offense that carries hefty penalties and facing these charges can be overwhelming. That is why you can benefit from the counsel of an experienced criminal defense attorney.
Enter Bernazzani Law. Our New Hampshire criminal defense attorney has over 15 years of experience helping clients achieve favorable results, and we can help you or a loved one if you are accused of attempted murder. Whether that involves helping you negotiate a plea agreement, working to get the charges dismissed, or mounting a vigorous defense at trial, we are here to help.
At Bernazzani Law, we bring a unique blend of in-depth knowledge, strategic thinking, and relentless dedication to your defense. Our legal services are tailored to each client's individual circumstances, ensuring that we meet your needs with precision and care. With Bernazzani Law by your side, you are not just getting a lawyer; you are gaining a steadfast advocate who will tirelessly work to protect your rights and strive to achieve the best possible outcome.
To discuss your case with our firm, call (603) 261-2214 or complete our online contact form.
Attempted Murder Charges | N.H. RSA 629:1
Under New Hampshire Revised Statute 629:1, a person is guilty of committing a crime if they, with the intent to commit a criminal offense, do anything that is considered a “substantial step” towards the commission of a crime. A substantial step refers to any action that can corroborate the accused’s intent. Thus, New Hampshire law defines attempted murder as taking substantial steps to cause someone else’s death.
What Are the Potential Penalties Associated with an Attempted Murder Conviction?
How Many Years Do You Get for Attempted Murder?
Upon conviction for attempted murder in New Hampshire, defendants may face a range of penalties, determined by the specific details of the case and the severity of harm inflicted on the victim.
The Revised Statutes Title LXII Criminal Code, Section 629:1 classifies attempted murder as a felony, often leading to significant imprisonment. In New Hampshire, a person can face life in prison for an attempted murder conviction. However, life imprisonment is not a mandatory penalty for this offense. It’s important to note that an attempted murder conviction can occur even if no substantial or life-threatening injuries are sustained by the alleged victim.
Defenses Against Attempted Murder Charges in NH
Some of the common defenses against attempted murder charges include the following:
- Lack of intent. Since the prosecution must prove intent to kill, lack of intent can be a powerful defense. If the defendant can demonstrate that they never intended to kill the victim but rather to scare or harm them, this could potentially lead to an acquittal.
- Lack of a substantial step. If the defendant can show that their actions did not constitute a substantial step toward committing murder, they may have a valid defense. For example, merely thinking about killing someone or buying a weapon without more conduct would not meet the substantial step threshold.
- Renunciation. In some jurisdictions, a renunciation defense is available if the defendant voluntarily and completely renounces their criminal intent and prevents the commission of the crime. For instance, if a defendant planned to kill someone but changed their mind and disarmed a bomb they had set, they might successfully use a renunciation defense.
- Self-defense. This defense can be invoked if the defendant can show that they believed they were in imminent danger of being killed or seriously harmed by the victim and they used force to protect themselves. The amount of force used in self-defense must be proportional to the perceived threat.
Why Retain Our Firm?
Should you be investigated for or charged with attempted murder, you can trust our Nashua defense attorneys with the case as:
- We fight to protect our clients’ rights. We are your staunch advocates and can act with your best interest in mind when developing your defense.
- We are equipped to handle litigation and negotiations. Our attorneys not only have trial experience but are also skilled mediators and negotiators, and we are flexible enough to help with negotiating pleas and defending you in a trial.
- We make ourselves accessible. You can contact us via phone or email to receive consistent updates about case developments and milestones.
- We take a client-centered approach to cases. In order to establish a strong rapport with clients and create personalized legal solutions, lawyers must engage in active listening, demonstrate empathy, and fully understand their objectives and obstacles. This approach not only fosters a deeper connection with clients but also enables us to devise effective strategies that are tailored to your unique circumstances.
Schedule a Consultation Today
Our team of seasoned attorneys understands the gravity of such charges and the devastating impact they can have on your life. We are committed to providing you with a robust defense that challenges the prosecution's case at every turn.
Our approach is not about making empty promises; it's about delivering results. It's about understanding the intricacies of attempted murder charges and formulating a defense strategy that puts our client in the best possible position.
When you choose to entrust your case to Bernazzani Law, you're choosing a team that values your future as much as you do. Let us show you how our unique approach to legal services can make a difference in your case.
Contact us online or via phone at (603) 261-2214 to schedule a free consultation with our knowledgeable Nashua attempted murder defense attorneys.
Some attorneys portray themselves as bulldogs. However, being overly aggressive is not always effective. When a fight is necessary, we fight. But when it is clear that a negotiated or mediated solution can yield better results — and the client wants this — we do not hesitate to follow the more fruitful path.
This is another way of saying "we've got your back." Retain our firm, and we will advocate for you in the strongest possible manner. We are dedicated to helping you and your family.
Our training and experience as mediators, negotiators and litigators give us a full suite of options to bring to your legal problem. Whether a court fight or a mutually agreeable solution is in your best interest, we are flexible enough to serve you. We make ourselves available by email, phone and through our helpful and competent staff.
We listen to our clients, and we relate to their problems — always providing clients, and their concerns, the time and attention required. We believe that understanding our clients is vital to helping them resolve those problems.